It's More Fun in the Community

Friday, December 13, 2013
Welcome back to me!

I've been on hiatus for the past few months and it's a bit sad to be not blogging at all. Plus, I've been counting days and dreading for the upcoming Comprehensive Exams and OSCE, both of which are moments of truth for us wanna-be doctors. I have spent my past 4 months in 2 interesting rotations-- Family Medicine and Internal Medicine. The former is a little 'benign' compared to the others and the latter, although more 'toxic', especially at the Emergency room, is one I liked most amongst all rotations.

So let me start my comeback by sharing with you some feats from my Family Medicine rotation. It's a 2-part rotation wherein our group is divided into 2. The first group goes on a 1-month rotation in the out-patient department of our hospital and the second enters the Intramuros community.

Our group started in the community. So how did we spend out time there? 

On Mondays, we see patients (both infants and adults) and immunize babies at the Intramuros Health Center. 


During Tuesdays, we do home visits to follow-up patients who do not come back to the Health Center for consult. We basically focused on the pregnant mothers who failed to return for their monthly pre-natal check-up. Lucky them, doctors are the ones who visit them for consult and that's for free! We also had our family case, in which we visit a family of our choice, do interviews and physical examination, and make a plan for their physical, social and medical wellness.


On Wednesday, we tackle and report on assigned topics related to Family Medicine's everyday work-- topics like Social Empowerment, Health Education, etc.


During Thursdays, we invite the whole community and our patients from outside the community as well to hear our lectures on interesting topics. Being a mother myself, I specifically chose "Breastfeeding" as my topic because it's one really close to my heart. Luckily, it was scheduled on the same week as the Breastfeeding Week so we were able to get a few sponsors for our event.


On Fridays, we visit the Joy Kiddie school and examine grade schoolers. We would play with them on their giant trampoline and we'll eat unripe mangoes after (super yummy street food!).


So that's we spent our good old 30 days in the community. Bow.

If there's a thing I learned that I would value much during that rotation, it would be respect for my patients. Regardless of their age and status in life, I learned how communication will be easier and more meaningful if I learn to be step down and be patient in dealing with them. Since it's a relatively benign rotation, I was able to have time for myself and my family because it truly makes a lot difference when there's less stress in your life-- you'll have a good outlook in your profession and you'll always look forward to another day with your patients.


It really is more fun in the community. :)

1 comments:

  1. Mona Verdida said...:

    It's really nice to know that you have learned how to be patient with your patients :D Some doctors sometimes don't look their patients in the eye anymore and sometimes very skeptical about the symptoms they are having especially the doctors who are health card accredited. They seem to be always in a rush for some reason. Well, anyways, I'm sure you're not one of them and I'm glad. I enjoyed reading your post! Thanks.

Post a Comment