A Dose of History: Ilocos Travel Diaries (Currimao)

Tuesday, June 10, 2014
In the few years that we've been traveling, I already learned to trust my instincts when it comes to choosing hotels for vacations and staycations. This is probably because I'm a self-confessed 'maarte' and I get really choosy when it comes to bedrooms and more importantly bathrooms. Hahaha! Since were also traveling on a budget and Vigan gets really pack so peak rates are on during summer, we decided to save during our first night in Vigan. We slept instead in a budget family room in Green R Hotel. Although it's pretty decent, I was still not comfortable with the place. But again, it's just because I'm plain 'maarte'. Haha!

The original plan was to stay in Pagudpod but the hotel rates are way over our budget so I had to patiently look for a second best option. Of course, as always when it comes to my instincts, the resort hotel I booked didn't disappoint!

We stayed in Playa Tropical Resort Hotel. Dubbed as the Bali of the North, the resort is located in the far barangay of Victoria in Currimao, Ilocos Norte. When I say far, it really is a very long ride from the suburbs. When we arrived at the place, I was blown away with the beautifully and romantically constructed hideaway. 

I reserved for us a double deluxe room. It was a spacious room good for 4-5 persons. The accommodation includes free breakfast for 2 and a two complimentary 15-min massage for guest which you may opt to avail in your own room or in their massage room. There is no wifi connection in our room though because their wifi is only located in commonplaces like the lounge and the floating huts.


Outside the main hotel building are the elegant floating huts, casa, a well-maintained garden and the infinity pool. Seating inside one of their floating huts, I can lay my eyes on the calm and gentle waters of the West Philippine Sea and have a breathtaking view of the sunset. We also had our dinner served by Cafe Amarra there. The food's a bit pricey but delectable, nonetheless. It was even served right on time. (Tip: Their sinigang na hipon and halo-halo are must-try!) The waiters were also courteous and attended to our needs even if they were a little under-manned.



 Sunset by the infinity pool 







In the morning, we took a dip in the sea and I loved the fact that even if it was not white sand, it's fine and the water is one of the calmest I've plunged into. Aside from the pool and the beach, the resort also offers spa and other services in Solana spa, which you can book at your convenient time. There is also a function hall (the structure in the photo below) that usually houses weddings and other events.


Older kids would also love the gameroom and playground for the little tots. Nathan practically spent the whole night in there just because he's afraid of water. Hehe.



To sum it all up, our short stay in the hotel was really relaxing and truly memorable. Will definitely come back again some other time, although probably not soon because we still have a lot in our itinerary in the next years to come. It's one of the best lairs in the North for couples and families. =)


Here's my final verdict:
Value for money:  3/5
Location:  3/5
Sleep quality: 4/5
Staff performance:  4/5
Hotel cleanliness:  4/5
Food/dining:  4/5



Playa Tropical Resort Hotel 
Brgy. Victoria, Currimao Ilocos Norte, Philippines 
(077) 670 1211 / 0917 5700223 
stay@playatropical.com.ph

9 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    The floating huts are gorgeous!

  1. Mona Verdida said...:

    Your pictures are just breathtaking. The windmills are really nice and so do the souvenirs! They're so cute and cheap ha. I've never been to Ilocos, but when I do get here, I'll definitely go to this place. It really looks nice and "kakaiba". :) Thanks for posting!

  1. Unknown said...:

    so nice place and nakaka excite pag nakikita mo paligid

  1. Unknown said...:

    Woow! as in Woow the place. Very fascinating! How i wish i can go there with my family :)

  1. Unknown said...:

    Hi Mona! Yes yes. I really suggest you stay in Currimao when you go to Ilocos. And you must try the beach as well, so calm.

  1. nelabratinella said...:

    Wow! Just wow! The huts are really beautiful. I will suggest this to my brother-in-law.

  1. Unknown said...:

    i love ILOCOS its a great place to visit. The food are so yummy and the Sunset by the infinity pool is so romantic :)

  1. Unknown said...:

    napaka swerte mo po at nkakapunta ka sa mga magagandang place. hoping na sana ako din.

Post a Comment